Book Reviews



To browse, please refer to the search box and list below the navigational buttons on the left.



Hand Wash Cold: Care Instructions for an Ordinary Life



by Karen Maezen Miller (2010)
Price: $14.95

Reviewed by: Brandee Cote

Written in the same vein as the popular Eat, Pray, Love, this book is about embracing the little things in life – especially in the wake of personal trials. Whether it'd be finding “happiness at the bottom of the laundry basket, the love in the kitchen sink, and the peace possible in one’s own backyard.” Miller discovers that it’s these seemingly mundane things that offer great opportunity for personal growth.

And I was missing it, because I thought life was something other than my life. I thought life was something envisioned and achieved. I thought it was manufactured from ideals and earned through elbow grease. I thought it was yet to arrive, and so I missed everything that had already come. I was blind to my marriage and my absence from it. I saw my job almost exclusively as a necessity, and rarely as the exhilarating invention that it was. My home was a headache, a pile of rust and dust. I was certain that I never wanted a family: not one more person to clean up after. And I had never examined my mind, my heart, or my hand in any of this.”

A captivating yet easy read, pick this one up if you’re in the mood for a little self-examination.


No comments:

Post a Comment

.